When you bring a pot belly pig home, one of the questions you must ask yourself is, how will my pot belly pig get in and out of my house? If you have steps leading out of your house, you must think about whether you will allow your pot belly pig to use the steps, or if you would like to ramp-train your pig. Last week we weighed the pros and cons of stairs for your pot belly pig. Now lets talk about ramps. Ramps can be a much safer alternative to stairs for your pot belly pig. However there are a few drawbacks to using a ramp. Here are the pros and cons:
- You won’t have to worry about your pot belly pig struggling to climb the stairs and getting hurt.
- Once you make the ramp, you can use it to help your pig get up stairs in your home, go outside and get into your car.
- For overweight pigs, a ramp is a must-have. They simply cannot do stairs.
- If you teach pot belly pigs to use the ramp while they’re young, it’s extremely easy. However, with treats, adult pigs can learn to use the ramp without much trouble as well.
- You must build or buy an extremely sturdy ramp. Some pot belly pigs will freak out if the ramp moves at all while they are on it and this could frighten them away from ever using it again.
- Although it’s simple, it does take some time and patience to train your pot belly pig to use a ramp.
- If you have more than one pot belly pig, and only one ramp, they may fight over who gets to use it first. For this reason, you may end up building or buying two ramps.
- If you stop using a ramp for an extended period of time, you may have to re-train your pot belly pig how to use it.
Although ramps may seem to have a lot of cons, they are minor compared to the pros (i.e. your pot belly pig’s safety). Once you build your ramp and get your pot belly pig using it, you’ll see that it was worth the effort to see your pot belly pig getting around easily and safely. Bottom line, if you have a pot belly pig, really considering building him/her a ramp. It will make life much easier and healthier and therefore, happier.